Book Reviews

The Twisted Tree Book Review #7 May Contain Spoilers

NB. Hey y’all, hope you had a wonderful new year and are settling into 2019 calmly and comfortably. Welcome to my first post of 2019.

Author: Rachel Burge

Publisher: Hot Key Books

`You write the story of you every day with your thoughts, words and deeds. You create yourself. You get to decide your story. No one else. You.’

Martha can tell things about a person just by touching their clothes, as if their emotions and memories have been absorbed into the material. It started the day she fell from the tree at her grandma’s cabin and became blind in one eye. Determined to understand her strange ability, Martha sets off to visit her grandmother, Mormor – only to discover Mormor is dead, a peculiar boy is in her cabin and a terrifying creature is on the loose…

Slow to start and lacking in direction however I was hooked with the beautiful, atmospheric writing and the strange circumstances. I related to both Stig and Martha, being an avid romance runaway as a teenager, however never to another country.

Around 30%-40% in I was enthralled and read the remaining 60% in 1 sitting. I loved Rachels writing and the similarities between descriptive phrases and different characters. The twist of Norse mythology and the suspense it brought with it knitted this story into a classic. The strained relationship between Martha and her mother was wonderfully written, seeing it through Martha’s eyes and then learning why her mother acted that way brought a new understanding to the stress and strain a mother feels and the fear she holds for her child. It was lovely to have that half of the story.

There could easily be more to this story, and I would happily read more about Martha, I would like to know what else she could uncover with her family ancestry and powers. I will definitely look out for more from Rachel Burge, just wanted to thank Netgalley and Hot Key books for giving me the opportunity to read and review this pre-release.

I was sent/given this book by Netgalley and Hot Key Books in exchange for an honest review.

The Twisted Tree will be available from 10th January 2019.

Would recommend to fans of… Coraline, Norse mythology and spine-chilling tingles.

Star rating: 4

2 thoughts on “The Twisted Tree Book Review #7 May Contain Spoilers

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s